Just follow these simple instructions…and you’re gardening!
- Purchase rectangular straw bales (approximately 2′ x 3′).
- Be sure they’re straw and not hay…or you’ll be growing whatever is in that hay along with what you intended to grow.
- Leave the strings on your straw bales.
- Place bales in sunny spot.
- Stand bales “on end” so that strings go all the way around bales (as opposed to string on one side laying on the ground).
- Soak bales with water at least two times prior to planting. Several or more times would even be better.
- Dig 6″ x 6″ holes in top of bales (four per bale).
- Add potting soil to your holes.
- Plant your seeds or plants.
- Water as needed.Fertilize every 2-3 weeks.